Opia-Enwemuche Maxwell Onyemaechi Prose Prize
The Opia-Enwemuche Maxwell Onyemaechi Prose Prize is awarded annually to a chapbook-length work of exceptional fiction or creative nonfiction. The work may be in the form of a long story or essay or a collection of short pieces (60 pages max). Other than the page limit, the only formal requirement is that some aspect of the work explores life in Africa. Special attention is given to stories that exhibit multiple vectors of thinking: artistic, theoretical, social, religious, and political.
Open: 11 July
Deadline: 31 August
Guest Judge: Iwu Jeff & Opia-Enwemuche Maxwell Onyemaechi (Sponsor)
Awards: First place is a NGN 15,000 Cash Prize and NGN 50,000 worth book publishing prize. Three finalists will be announced, and one winner selected.
- Have you got a long asf story that wickedly exceeds the word counts for journals?
- Do you have a micro-essay collection you’ve been crafting that’s still too short to publish as a book?
These works deserve to be published. Opia-Enwemuche Maxwell Onyemaechi Prose Prize shall make it possible. Opia-Enwemuche Maxwell Onyemaechi Prose Prize is awarded annually to a chapbook-length work of exceptional fiction or creative nonfiction. The work may be in the form of a long story or essay or a collection of short pieces (60 pages max). Other than the page limit, the only formal requirement is that some aspect of the work must inform or explore how place shapes identity, imagination, and understanding.
- Send 60 double-spaced pages of prose (fiction or nonfiction).
- Simultaneous submissions and previously published work are acceptable.
- All entries must be sent online and must be contained in a single document.
- The author’s name should not appear in the document (.docx or .doc).
The submission deadline is 31 August, 2021, 12 a.m.
- Winner receives a NGN 15,000 Cash Prize and a NGN 50,000 worth book publishing prize.
- Poemify Publishers Inc will design the chapbook. The cover will be decided in cooperation with the winning author.
- All finalists will be announced in April of the following year on the Poemify Publishers Inc blog and social media channels.
- Due to the number of submissions, we cannot leave each manuscript personalized feedback. Authors will receive acknowledgment of receipt and panel decision. Check here for notification of the winner.
Open to all previously unpublished, chapbook-length manuscripts of prose (fiction and nonfiction) written in English. Manuscripts that contain previously published stories are eligible, so long as the manuscript is unpublished as a collection.
What We Like
We value energy and voice and force, work that crosses borders or tear down walls of partition, work that questions and evoke thoughts, work that thrill, induce tears and tickle at the same time, work that lives in the world, work with uneasy fingers and a half-empty stomach. We love to think that poetry is and ought to be part of our everyday lives and culture; give us your best of these.
Submit a previously unpublished, chapbook-length (60 pages max) manuscript of fiction using the submission form at the end of this page. The manuscript, in one .DOC file, should include: a title page with the title of the book only (no contact or identifying information about the author), a table of contents page, and the text itself.
The full .DOC, all-inclusive, MUST be 60 pages or less. Files longer than 60 pages or shorter will be disqualified.
Include, in the BIO section of the form, a brief letter with the title of your work and your contact info, as well as a brief bio. If you wish, you may also include info about your web and social media presence, but this is not required. Your name and contact information SHOULD NOT appear anywhere in the manuscript–we only want your name in the BIO section itself.
Use a legible, 10- to 12-point font like Times New Roman.
Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please let us know immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
Collaborative manuscripts written by more than one author are fine, too. Fine, fine, fine.
The judges will read all submissions blindly to ensure the maximum level of fairness and select 3 finalists. The finalists will then be forwarded along to the final judge, who will select a winner.
For additional questions, please email email@example.com
SUBMISSION CURRENTLY OPEN UNTIL 11 AUGUST, 2021
If you have any difficulty using the submission form, kindly send your submission via email to email firstname.lastname@example.org